Indian State-Owned Diamond Miner Could Take Over Abandoned Bunder Deposits

By IDEX Online Staff Reporter / January 16, 2020 / www.idexonline.com / Article Link

(IDEX Online) - India's state-owned miner NMDC could be getting a multi billion dollar contract to explore and mine diamonds at a diamond project abandoned by Rio Tinto, reports Reuters

Located in the central state of Madhya Pradesh, the Bunder deposits could contain millions of carats of diamonds, Neeraj Mandloi, the principal secretary of the state's Mineral Resource Department, told Reuters.

Rio Tinto gifted the Bunder diamond project to the government of Madhya Pradesh in 2017 after announcing the previous year that commercial considerations prevented it from proceeding with development. 

"Our geological survey has shown that the entire area, which has largely remained unexplored, is rich in diamonds," Mandloi said of the Bunder deposit. He said its output could be in the billions of dollars.

NMDC already mines in the neighboring Majhgawan mine at Panna, Madhya Pradesh.

Last month, the state government awarded a smaller portion of the deposit to Essel Mining & Industries, part of Indian conglomerate Aditya Birla Group. That area was valued at about $9 billion, according to estimates by Rio Tinto and the state government, reports Reuters.

Recent News

Several new entrants to TSXV large gold, including producer Asante

November 24, 2025 / www.canadianminingreport.com

Gold stocks down on metal decline, equity market slide

November 24, 2025 / www.canadianminingreport.com

Largest gold producers see strong Q3/25 earnings

November 17, 2025 / www.canadianminingreport.com

Gold stocks jump on gain in metal price

November 17, 2025 / www.canadianminingreport.com

AOCE and WB boost gold targets for 2025 significantly

November 10, 2025 / www.canadianminingreport.com
See all >
Share to Youtube Share to Facebook Facebook Share to Linkedin Share to Twitter Twitter Share to Tiktok